Swirled with melted chocolate chips, these soft, chewy cookies are a chocolate lovers dream.
Alternative name for these cookies: the “oh sh*t” cookies. Sometimes accidents in the kitchen do lead to something delicious.
This is a story of me, 30-something weeks pregnant, trying to do one too many things at a time. I think #mombrain set in way before my little guy arrived. I was baking Stacey Mattison’s chocolate chip cookies to bring to a family lunch. If you’re looking for a straight-forward, perfectly soft chocolate chip cookie, her recipe is it. I was interrupted by something midway through making the cookies and had to stop and come back to them (I don’t recommend this). As I was forming the cookies, I noticed that the consistency was a bit off from usual, but I didn’t think much of it and put the cookies in the oven. Then, as I was putting away the ingredients, I noticed that the brown sugar had not been opened and immediately realized I forgot to put the brown sugar in the cookies. #fail
In a bit of a panic, I quickly took the cookies out of the oven and put them back in a bowl. Although they’d only been in the oven for less than a minute, the chocolate chips had already melted. I added the brown sugar and mixed them again, which led to a thick chocolate swirl throughout the cookies. So, I decided to add more chocolate chips (because chocolate chip cookies need actual chocolate chips obviously), put them back in the oven and hoped for the best. I didn’t have time to make new ones.
The funny thing is, they turned out great! Everyone asked me for the recipe at lunch. And then I had to admit to my mistake. I personally thought they were a little too sweet (is there such thing?) because of the extra sugar in the chocolate chips. So, I’ve since tweaked Stacy’s recipe to reduce the sugar and purposely added some melted chocolate chips. Every time I make these cookies, someone asks for the recipe, so I thought it was about time I shared it. Here’s to mistakes in the kitchen that turn out great!
Accidental Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature or microwaved for 30 seconds to soften
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (I like to use cane sugar)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup (divided) semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Heat 1/2 cup chocolate chips over double boiler or in microwave, stirring consistently until just melted. Set aside. If it begins to harden, heat slightly again.
- With a mixer, cream butter and sugars together until well-mixed.
- Add in eggs and beat well – about 1 minute.
- Mix in baking soda, salt, and vanilla.
- Add melted chocolate and stir with wooden spoon until just mixed.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time mixing slowly with mixer until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips and mix gently with a wooden spoon. Again, do not over mix!
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the dough and roll into balls with your hand. Place onto parchment or slip-mat lined baking sheet about 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, until just slightly golden brown. Let cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then place on cooling rack until completely cooled.
Note: These store on the counter for up to 3 days. They can be frozen up to 3 months and defrosted in the microwave or on the counter.